In the realm of high-performance electronic devices, where extreme temperatures and thermal challenges prevail, the quest for materials that can provide exceptional thermal stability remains paramount. Arlon 85N emerges as a formidable contender, offering a unique blend of properties that make it an attractive choice for demanding applications. This article delves into the remarkable characteristics of Arlon 85N, highlighting its ability to withstand harsh thermal conditions and its significant contributions to industries such as aerospace, aviation, and beyond.
What is Arlon 85N?
Arlon 85N is an advanced polyimide-based lamination prepreg system specifically designed for printed wiring boards (PWBs) that demand exceptional temperature resistance throughout the manufacturing process and in the end application. With an impressive glass transition temperature of 250 degrees Celsius, this material offers unparalleled heat resistance, making it particularly well-suited for high temperature terminal electronics.
Significant Features and Advantages of Arlon 85N
Arlon 85N polyimide has gained significant adoption in various demanding electrical applications, particularly within industries such as aerospace and high-tech equipment. These industries rely on the exceptional properties of Arlon 85N to achieve high resistance against extreme temperatures and chemical changes. Here are the key features and advantages of Arlon 85N:
Superior Thermal Performance:
One of the primary advantages of Arlon 85N is its superior thermal stability, which ensures consistent performance even under extreme temperature conditions. This stability is further enhanced by its pure resin formulation, guaranteeing reliable results in critical industries such as aerospace, military equipment, and others that require utmost stability.
Arlon 85N exhibits outstanding thermal performance, with a high operating temperature typically exceeding 250 degrees Celsius. This property enables it to withstand and function reliably under extreme temperature conditions.
Compliance with Environmental Standards:
Arlon 85N is compliant with RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) and WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) regulations, ensuring its adherence to environmental standards and regulations.
Arlon 85N complies with the stringent requirements outlined in IPC-4101/40 and IPC-4101/41, which are industry standards governing the performance and reliability of laminate materials. This compliance underscores the material’s adherence to rigorous quality standards and its suitability for demanding applications.
The composition of Arlon 85N incorporates halogen-free chemistry, which provides an added level of safety and environmental friendliness.
Excellent Plated Through-Hole (PTH) Reliability:
Arlon 85N offers exceptional reliability in PTH applications. Its low Z (coefficient of thermal expansion) helps minimize the risk of latent PTH defects, enhancing overall reliability and performance.
Pure Polyimide Composition:
Arlon 85N is composed solely of pure polyimide material, without any secondary resin additives. This ensures the material’s consistency and purity, contributing to its reliable performance.
Unlike epoxy blended or reacted materials, Arlon 85N maintains its thermal properties consistently. It exhibits a decomposition temperature greater than 450 degrees Celsius, further emphasizing its ability to withstand high temperatures without compromising its functionality.
Reliable Lead-Free Processing:
Arlon 85N is compatible with lead-free processing techniques, providing manufacturers with a reliable solution for meeting industry standards and regulations related to lead-free electronic components.
The exceptional characteristics of Arlon 85N make it an ideal choice for applications requiring high temperature resistance, chemical resistance, and reliable electrical performance. Its thermal stability, compliance with environmental standards, and excellent PTH reliability make it a preferred material in demanding industries such as aerospace and advanced technology.
What Are the Potential Limitations of Using Arlon 85N?
While Arlon 85 N is undoubtedly essential for heavy-duty devices that encounter high temperatures and require superior thermal stability, it is important to acknowledge certain limitations associated with this material:
1. Processing Requirements: The utilization of Arlon 85 N entails the application of high temperatures due to its polyimide resin nature. Thus, careful consideration and appropriate measures need to be taken during the processing stage to ensure optimal performance.
2. Sensitivity to Alkali and Acid Hydrolysis: Arlon 85 N is highly sensitive to alkali and acid hydrolysis, which can pose challenges when used in electronic devices. Special attention must be given to avoid exposure to these substances, as they can adversely affect the material’s performance and reliability.
3. Cost Considerations: Compared to alternative options such as prepreg systems and other laminate PCBs, Arlon 85 N is associated with higher processing costs. The expense of utilizing this material should be taken into account when considering its implementation in a project or device.
4. Process-Specific Conditions: Certain processes involved in working with Arlon 85 N, such as annealing, necessitate adherence to specific temperature requirements. It is crucial to ensure that the prescribed conditions are met to achieve the desired outcomes and maintain the material’s integrity.
By recognizing these limitations, engineers and manufacturers can make informed decisions regarding the suitability and feasibility of using Arlon 85 N in their specific applications, while taking into account the associated processing requirements, sensitivity to certain substances, cost factors, and process-specific conditions.
How Does Arlon TC350 Compare to Arlon 85N?
Arlon TC350 is a widely utilized substrate in the manufacturing of printed circuit boards. It has been specifically designed to provide exceptional thermal conductivity, while simultaneously maintaining extremely low rates of dielectric and thermal losses. This unique design enables the substrate to facilitate efficient heat transfer, resulting in improved working efficiency of antennas. Furthermore, by minimizing losses, Arlon TC350 effectively reduces hot spots within devices and enhances overall device reliability during operation.
In contrast, Arlon 85 N is a polyimide resin system renowned for its purity and exceptional thermal resistance, particularly against high temperatures encountered in electronic devices. With a high glass transition temperature of 250 degrees, it offers remarkable stability when subjected to elevated temperatures. This pure resin formulation, combined with its ability to withstand extreme heat, makes Arlon 85 N an ideal choice for demanding applications involving heavy multilayer devices. Industries such as aerospace, military, and space exploration, as well as other sectors requiring superior thermal stability, can greatly benefit from the outstanding properties of Arlon 85 N.
How Does Arlon 85N Compare to Arlon TC 600?
Arlon 85N is a highly stable and thermally resilient material that finds extensive usage in the commercial equipment and industrial equipment sectors. It is particularly well-suited for applications that operate at elevated temperatures and demand prolonged operational lifetimes.
On the other hand, Arlon TC600 is a specialized microwave material designed to enhance thermal management. With improved mechanical strength, Arlon TC600 caters to the requirements of applications that necessitate laminates with higher dielectric constants for the fabrication of microwave printed circuit boards.
Main Uses of Arlon 85N
Arlon 85N finds extensive utility in a range of industries and applications that demand exceptional thermal stability. Some prominent uses of Arlon 85N include:
1. Aerospace and Aviation: The aerospace industry relies heavily on Arlon 85N for its high-temperature resistance and thermal stability. It is employed in the manufacturing of critical components such as aircraft engine parts, electrical insulation systems, radar systems, and avionics, where exposure to extreme temperatures is common.
2. Military and Defense: Arlon 85N plays a vital role in military and defense applications where ruggedness and reliability are imperative. It is utilized in the production of military gadgets, electronic warfare systems, missile guidance systems, and communication equipment, providing the necessary thermal stability to withstand demanding operational environments.
3. Space Exploration: The extreme temperatures experienced in space necessitate materials with exceptional thermal resistance. Arlon 85N finds its place in the construction of satellites, space probes, and other space exploration devices, ensuring reliable operation in the harsh conditions of outer space.
4. Oil and Gas: The oil and gas industry often involves high-temperature environments, such as drilling operations and downhole equipment. Arlon 85N is utilized in the manufacturing of electrical insulation systems, sensors, and control devices, providing the necessary thermal stability and reliability for efficient and safe operation.
5. High-Temperature Electronics: Arlon 85N is employed in various high-temperature electronic devices and components, including power electronics, sensors, circuit boards, and connectors. Its ability to withstand elevated temperatures ensures the longevity and reliability of these critical electronic systems.
6. Automotive: In automotive applications, where exposure to high temperatures is common, Arlon 85N finds use in components such as engine control units (ECUs), sensors, and wiring harnesses, providing thermal stability and protection against thermal stress.
By virtue of its exceptional thermal stability and resistance to high temperatures, Arlon 85N serves as a reliable and versatile material in industries where thermal challenges are prevalent. Its applications span from aerospace and defense to space exploration, oil and gas, high-temperature electronics, and automotive sectors, enabling the development of robust and reliable devices and systems capable of withstanding extreme thermal conditions.
How to Manufacturing Arlon 85N on PCB?
Arlon 85N is an exceptional polyimide material renowned for its ability to withstand high temperatures, making it highly suitable for electronic devices. Its prepreg system and outstanding thermal resistance make it the preferred choice for fabricating printed circuit boards.
When utilizing Arlon 85N for printed circuit board fabrication, it is crucial to adhere to the following conditions:
●Ensure color oxidation is performed within the layers, with a preference for brown oxidation.
●Achieve uniform coating and carefully manage dwelling time in the oxide bath.
●Maintain precise control over the pressurized system, ensuring it remains below 6 degrees.
●Follow standard industry methods, including step-by-step processes such as development, etching, layering, and stripping as required.
●Implement pre-vacuuming intervals of approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
●Establish standard heat rise and temperature conditions.
These are essential guidelines to be mindful of when fabricating Arlon 85N on printed circuit boards. Arlon has proven to be an indispensable component in PCBs and various other electronic devices. Its polyimide nature and exceptional thermal stability, coupled with a high glass transition temperature, allow it to function reliably in demanding environments. Particularly in industries where devices must operate for extended periods, Arlon 85N emerges as the optimal choice.
Where to Buy Arlon 85N PCB?
Your Best Arlon 85N PCB Supplier-JarnisTech
If you are seeking to procure Arlon 85N PCBs for your project, JarnisTech is the ideal choice for you. Our state-of-the-art facility boasts advanced equipment and cutting-edge technology, enabling us to produce PCBs tailored to meet your specific requirements.
At JarnisTech, we are committed to supporting a diverse range of projects, and as such, we offer a wide selection of Arlon PCBs to cater to your unique needs. Regardless of your project specifications, you can rely on us to consistently deliver PCBs that meet and exceed your expectations. Arlon materials play a pivotal role in the manufacturing process, ensuring the exceptional quality and performance of our Arlon PCBs.
When designing an Arlon printed circuit board, it is crucial to consider the different types of Arlon materials available, adhere to design rules, and possess a thorough understanding of the production process. Rest assured, JarnisTech is the premier Arlon PCB manufacturer, equipped with the expertise and resources to guide you through the design and production journey, ensuring optimal results.
In the dynamic landscape of advanced electronic devices, the pursuit of materials that can withstand the rigors of high temperatures is an ongoing quest. Arlon 85N stands as a testament to the relentless pursuit of thermal stability, offering unparalleled resilience and performance in the face of extreme thermal challenges.
Polyimide, the primary constituent of Arlon 85N, possesses remarkable properties that make it an ideal choice for electronic devices. Notably, its high flexibility, exceptional heat resistance, lightweight nature, and resistance to various chemicals contribute to its superior performance and reliability.
Therefore, Arlon 85N stands out as an exceptional polyimide-based lamination prepreg system that offers unrivaled heat resistance, stability, and compliance with industry standards.
As industries such as aerospace, aviation, and beyond continue to push the boundaries of technology, Arlon 85N stands ready to unleash the power of thermal stability, ensuring that devices can operate reliably and efficiently even under the most demanding conditions. With its exceptional properties and steadfast commitment to excellence, Arlon 85N paves the way for a future where thermal stability is no longer a limitation but a catalyst for innovation. Embrace the power of Arlon 85N and unlock new frontiers in high-temperature applications.