A printed circuit board (PCB) is a critical electronic component that provides the foundation for many electronic devices. In recent years, the demand for high-density and complex electronic devices has increased, leading to the development of 10 Layer PCBs.
For electronic devices requiring six routing layers, PCB design engineers recommend using a ten-layer PCB due to its benefits. A ten-layer PCB typically comprises six signal layers and four plane layers. It is not advisable to design a ten-layer board with more than six signal layers. This is because ten layers are the maximum number of layers that can be conveniently manufactured on a 0.062-inch thick board. Although rare, some PCB manufacturers can fabricate a 12-layer board from 0.062-inch thick boards.
If you have a 10-layer PCB project, it is prudent to partner with a reputable PCB manufacturer. Renowned companies such as JarnisTech provide excellent solutions and PCB manufacturing services while ensuring quality control throughout the entire production process. They have the expertise and experience to create a reliable, durable, and high-performance ten-layer PCB that meets your needs. Contact JarnisTech for your 10-layer PCB project, and experience their exceptional service.
What is a 10 Layer PCB ?
A 10 Layer PCB is a type of multi-layered printed circuit board that has ten layers of conductive material separated by insulating layers. It is designed to accommodate complex electrical circuits and is commonly used in applications that require high performance, such as in smartphones, computers, automotive electronics, and aerospace equipment.
The multiple layers allow designers to route circuit traces in a more efficient and compact way, reducing the size of the PCB while increasing its functionality. The use of a 10 Layer PCB can provide improved signal integrity, higher reliability, better thermal management, and enhanced electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) performance compared to single or double-sided PCBs.
PCB Design Considerations for 10 Layer PCBs
When designing a 10 Layer PCB, some important considerations to keep in mind include:
● Layer stack-up configuration: Careful selection of the stack-up configuration is crucial to ensure the integrity and performance of the PCB, as it determines the distribution of power planes, ground planes, and signal layers.
● Trace routing: Routing of signal traces must be done on the appropriate layer to avoid signal crosstalk and interference. High-speed signals should be routed on internal layers, while low-speed signals can be routed on outer layers.
● Power delivery: Proper distribution of power planes is critical to prevent voltage drops and ensure reliable power delivery. It is important to ensure that high current traces have adequate copper thickness, trace width, and clearance from other components.
● Ground planes: Proper grounding is critical to ensure the integrity of the signals and to reduce EMI. Ground planes should be designed with low impedance, and all components should have a clear path to ground.
● Thermal management: The high density of components and the power dissipated in a 10 Layer PCB can lead to heat buildup, which can damage components and affect performance. Thermal vias, heat sinks, and other cooling techniques should be used to manage heat dissipation.
● Design rules: It is important to adhere to the design rules defined by the manufacturer to ensure manufacturability and reliability of the PCB.
● Testing and verification: Proper testing and verification are critical to ensure the functionality and reliability of the PCB. Testing should be done at each step of the design process to ensure that the design meets the expected performance criteria and to identify and correct any issues.
Fabrication process for 10 Layer PCBs
The fabrication process for a 10 Layer PCB typically involves the following steps:
● Design: The circuit design is created using design software, taking into account the specific requirements of the application.
● Layer stack-up: The layer stack-up configuration is determined, deciding the order of each layer in the PCB, which varies depending on the application.
● Drilling: Holes are drilled through the layers, including vias that connect the different layers of the PCB.
● Electroless deposition: A thin layer of conductive material such as copper is deposited onto the walls of the drilled holes through an electroless deposition process.
● Plating: Conductive material is plated onto the copper in the drilled holes, including plating for blind vias, buried vias, and through holes.
● Lamination: The separate layers are laminated together, typically through heat and pressure, using a bonding material known as prepreg.
● Etching: The undesired copper is etched away, leaving behind the desired circuit traces.
● Solder mask and silk screen: Solder mask is applied to the surface of the PCB in areas where no soldering should occur, and silk screen is applied to provide labeling and other information.
● Surface finish: The surface of the PCB is plated with a material such as gold, silver, or tin to improve solderability and protect against corrosion.
● Electrical testing: The PCB is tested to ensure that it meets the desired specifications including signal integrity, power delivery, and thermal management.
Testing and Inspection of 10 Layer PCBs
Testing and inspection of 10 Layer PCBs are critical to ensuring that the final product meets the desired specifications, is reliable, and performs as expected. Some common testing and inspection methods include:
● Visual inspection: A visual inspection is performed to ensure that there are no visible defects or damage to the PCB.
● Automated optical inspection (AOI): AOI is a non-destructive testing method that uses cameras and software to inspect the PCB for defects such as misplaced components, missing solder joints, and solder bridges.
● X-ray inspection: X-ray inspection is a non-destructive testing method that is used to inspect the internal structure of the PCB, including the quality and flow of solder joints and the presence of voids or cracks within the components or solder.
● In-circuit testing (ICT): ICT is a functional testing method that involves the use of a test fixture to check and verify the connectivity, resistance, and capacitance of the components on the PCB.
● Flying probe testing: Flying probe testing is a form of ICT that uses a fixture with probes to test the connectivity and functionality of the PCB.
● Environmental testing: Environmental testing is conducted to ensure that the PCB can function under extreme conditions such as temperature changes, humidity, and vibration.
● Electrical performance testing: Electrical performance testing involves verifying the power delivery, signal integrity, and thermal management of the PCB using various testing equipment such as oscilloscopes and thermal cameras.
As a result, proper testing and inspection of 10 Layer PCBs ensure that they meet design specifications, are reliable, and perform as expected before being placed in service.
Benefits of using a 10 Layer PCB
There are several benefits to using a 10 Layer PCB, including:
● Increased circuit density: The use of multiple layers allows for a higher circuit density, enabling more components to be fitted onto a smaller board.
● Improved signal integrity: The additional layers allow for separation of the power and ground planes from the signal traces, reducing the chances of noise and electrical interference.
● Enhanced thermal management: The additional layers allow for better heat dissipation, preventing accumulation of heat in the components and thus reducing the risk of thermal damage.
● Improved EMC performance: The additional layers, coupled with proper grounding and shielding techniques, can improve electromagnetic compatibility and reduce the potential for interference with other nearby electronic devices.
● Reduced size and weight: The higher density and increased functionality offered by a 10 Layer PCB can reduce overall size and weight of the circuit board and the device it is used in.
● Increased reliability: The use of multiple layers and advanced manufacturing techniques improves the reliability of the PCB, reducing the likelihood of failure or malfunction.
● Easier to meet design requirements: 10 Layer PCBs offer the designer more flexibility when trying to meet specific design requirements such as impedance control, high-speed signaling, and RF signal management.
● Reduced noise: More layers help to isolate and separate power and ground planes, minimizing signal noise and improving electromagnetic compatibility.
● Better manufacturing control: While 10 Layer PCBs are more complex than traditional PCBs, modern design tools and manufacturing processes enable greater precision and consistency, with less design errors.
Examples of Applications for 10 Layer PCBs
10 Layer PCBs are used in a wide range of applications that require high-density, complex and high-performance circuitry. Some examples of applications for 10 Layer PCBs include:
● Telecommunications: 10 Layer PCBs are commonly used in telecommunication equipment such as routers, switches, and base stations that require high-speed data transfer and signal processing.
● Medical devices: 10 Layer PCBs are used in medical devices such as ultrasound machines, CT scanners, and patient monitoring systems where high-density, specialized electronics are necessary.
● Aerospace and Defense: 10 Layer PCBs are used in aerospace and defense applications such as avionics, radar systems, and missile guidance systems where reliability, durability, and high performance are critical.
● Industrial equipment: 10 Layer PCBs are used in industrial equipment such as robotics, automation systems, and motor control systems where precise and high-power electronics are necessary.
● Consumer electronics: 10 Layer PCBs are used in consumer electronics such as smartphones, laptops, and gaming consoles where high-density, high-performance circuitry is necessary within the compact form factors.
● Automotive: 10 Layer PCBs are used in automotive applications such as engine control systems, safety systems, and infotainment where high-performance and rugged electronics are vital.
Choosing the Right Vendor for Multilayer PCBs
Manufacturing multilayer printed circuit boards (PCBs) requires specialized equipment, trained operators, and significant financial investments. These are some of the reasons why some fabricators may be slower to enter the multilayer market than others.
At JarnisTech, we have the capabilities and expertise to support advanced printed circuit board designs with challenging requirements. Our manufacturing processes include laser-drilled microvias and cavity boards, heavy copper up to 20 oz, via-in pad, microwave and radio boards, and production of up to 60 layers.
Our team is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and utilizes advanced manufacturing technologies to produce high-quality, high-performance PCBs for our clients. We have highly skilled operators that undergo regular training to keep up with industry advancements and ensure the quality and reliability of our products.
Whether you have a complex multilayer PCB board with advanced design requirements or need support with a standard PCB design, our team is committed to delivering exceptional service and products tailored to your specific needs. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help with your multilayer PCB project.
Rigid Multilayer 10 Layer PCB from JarnisTech manufacturer
High-density interconnect (HDI) technology is commonly used in the fabrication of 10-layer or 20-layer PCBs. HDI boards are characterized by small geometries, high interconnect densities, and typical microvia design rules. However, it is worth noting that not all 10-layer or 20-layer PCBs are HDI boards. Some boards still have large trace widths and spaces and holes larger than 0.3mm. As an experienced PCB manufacturer, we have the capability to produce both HDI and non-HDI boards to meet our clients’ specific requirements for 10-layer or 20-layer PCBs.
Our team at JarnisTech has extensive expertise in the design, fabrication, and assembly of PCBs, regardless of complexity or layer count. We are equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and an experienced workforce that enable us to produce high-quality, reliable, and cost-effective PCBs. Our services are tailored to meet the needs of clients with varying requirements. Whether it is an HDI board or a non-HDI board, our team is committed to delivering high-end solutions and exceptional service. Contact us today and let us help you with your 10-layer or 20-layer PCB project.
Advanced Technology From JarnisTech
● We leverage advanced PCB manufacturing technologies to produce PCBs of up to 60 layers, achieving a minimum trace and space of 2.5/2.5mil. Our capabilities include a maximum board thickness to hole diameter ratio of 12/1.
● To meet the design requirements of photoelectric communication products, we have developed long and short gold finger processing techniques and high-density trace precision control. Our high-precision back drilling technology minimizes equivalent series inductance vias to enhance signal transmission integrity.
● For high heat-dissipating power products, we use ultra-thick copper and advanced metal-based manufacturing processes. We apply laser depth control technology and high-precision mechanical engineering to create multi-level step groove products, meeting various assembling requirements.
● Our mature mixed pressure process can combine FR-4 and high-frequency materials, resulting in reduced material costs while meeting high-frequency performance standards. We have also applied advanced Anti-Caf technology to increase PCB reliability and service life.
● Advanced buried capacitor and resistor technology improves PCB product performance, while our advanced inner layer exposed technology meets high-frequency circuit information transmission requirements.
At our manufacturing facility, we strive to stay up-to-date with industry advancements and trends, allowing us to deliver innovative PCB solutions tailored to our clients’ unique product designs and requirements. Contact us to learn more about how we can help you deliver high-performance PCBs that meet your precise needs.
Strict Quality Control
● We understand the importance of meeting industry standards and certifications in our PCB manufacturing processes. For this reason, we have obtained various certifications, including UL certification, ISO/TS1694:2009 certification, and quality certification ISO9001:2008.
● We also prioritize the confidentiality of our clients’ information and have implemented strict management policies to ensure its protection.
● Our production process follows IPC 6012 II/III standards along with customer-specific requirements, enterprise standards, and industry practices. We emphasize the use of quality materials, advanced manufacturing equipment, and strict quality control measures to produce custom products that meet our clients’ exact specifications.
● Ultimately, we are dedicated to delivering bespoke PCB solutions that meet the highest quality standards for our clients. Contact us to learn how we can help you achieve your PCB production goals while adhering to the required certifications and standards.
Layer Stack-up Configuration for 10 Layer PCB
The layer stack-up configuration for a 10 Layer PCB varies depending on the specific requirements of the application, but common configurations include:
● Standard layer stack-up: This layer stack-up configuration consists of four signal layers (top, bottom, inner 1, and inner 2), two power planes (inner 3 and inner 8), two ground planes (inner 4 and inner 7), and two split planes (inner 5 and inner 6).
● Power/Ground layer stack-up: This layer stack-up configuration consists of four signal layers (top, bottom, inner 1, and inner 2), two power planes (inner 3 and inner 8), four ground planes (inner 4, inner 5, inner 6, and inner 7).
● Mixed power and ground layer stack-up: This layer stack-up configuration consists of four signal layers (top, bottom, inner 1, and inner 2), three power planes (inner 3, inner 7, and inner 8), and three ground planes (inner 4, inner 5, and inner 6).
The layer stack-up configuration is an important consideration for 10 Layer PCBs. It determines the distribution of power planes, ground planes, and signal layers, and can affect the performance of the final product in terms of reliability, signal integrity, and electromagnetic compatibility. The choice of layer stack-up depends on the specific requirements of the application, such as the number and speed of signals, the voltage and current requirements, and thermal management.
Standard 10 Layer PCB Stack–Up
For designers of printed circuit boards (PCBs), utilizing a 10-layer stack-up is a popular and practical choice. A standard stack-up of 10 layers serves as a common option applicable in most PCB designs.
This 10-layer stack-up arrangement provides advantages in terms of design flexibility, signal integrity, and power distribution. It can accommodate a wide range of design requirements and is suitable for various applications.
Standard 10L Stacks Up 1.6MM Standard 10L stacks up 1.33MM
Standard 10L Stacks Up to 2.0MM Standard 10L Stacks Up 2.4MM
Standard 10L Stacks Up To 3.00mm
The standard 10-layer PCB buildup depicted above is based on the best manufacturing features in terms of both quality and cost. However, to ensure optimal quality and prevent potential issues during the PCB assembly process for designs with six or more layers, we highly recommend using Tg170 laminate material.
Our standard 10-layer construction features 1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1 oz copper thickness, which is ideal for manufacturing multilayer rigid PCBs.
At JarnisTech, we also offer the flexibility to tailor our stack-up configurations to meet your specific PCB design requirements. For example, if you need a custom stack-up with impedance control on a 10-layer circuit board or require a PCB with a higher copper thickness, such as a 3-ounce copper stack-up, we encourage you to email us at [email protected] for further information and support. Our team of experts can guide you through the process and help you select the optimal stack-up configuration for your desired outcome.
Multilayer Printed Circuit Boards We Offer High-quality Raw Materials
When it comes to selecting the substrate materials for printed circuit boards (PCBs), it is essential to choose brands with a proven track record of quality and performance. Some of the leading brands in the industry include Shengyi, Rogers, Arlon, Taconic, and others.
These well-established brands offer a range of options in terms of materials, including laminates, prepregs, and other substrates with varying characteristics, such as flexibility, thermal conductivity, and dielectric constant. By using these high-quality materials, we can ensure the reliability and longevity of our PCBs.
In addition to substrate materials, the auxiliary materials used in PCB manufacturing are also crucial to achieving high-quality and durable results.
We use trusted brands like Taiyo ink, Hitachi dry film and Noda resin, known for their quality and consistency in the PCB industry.
At JarnisTech, we understand the importance of using the best materials to produce PCBs that meet our clients’ specific needs. Our team of experts has extensive experience in selecting and working with the best brands and materials in the industry to deliver exceptional results.
10-Layer Board Lead Time
The cost of manufacturing a printed circuit board (PCB) is dependent on the number of boards required, the specific process requirements, and the pricing structure. To receive a quote, the customer can send us a Gerber file containing the necessary design information.
Typically, a 10-layer PCB manufactured in a general factory takes approximately 10-15 days to produce. However, at JarnisTech, we understand that sometimes clients require quicker turnaround times to meet project timelines. Therefore, we offer expedited orders for clients who need their orders completed within a shorter timeframe. Such orders can be completed in as little as one week while still maintaining the same level of quality and performance.
At JarnisTech, we are committed to meeting our clients’ needs and providing exceptional service and products. Our team of experts utilizes advanced manufacturing technologies and techniques to deliver high-quality PCBs that meet our clients’ exact specifications while also offering competitive pricing and timely delivery.
Do you need someone to manufacture your PCB ? JarnisTech can help !
10 Layer PCBs are essential in modern electronic devices that require high-density, complex, and high-performance circuitry. A careful consideration of various design factors such as layer stack-up configuration, trace routing, power delivery, ground planes, thermal management, design rules, and testing and verification is necessary to ensure their proper functionality and performance.
The fabrication process for a 10 layer PCB involves several steps such as designing, layer stack-up, drilling, electroless deposition, plating, lamination, etching, solder mask and silk screen, surface finish, and electrical testing. Testing and inspection of the final product are critical to ensure the final PCB meets the desired specifications, reliability, and performs as expected. 10 Layer PCBs find diverse applications in various industries such as telecommunications, aviation, defense, medical, automotive, industrial equipment, and consumer electronics.
Manufacturing high-quality printed circuit boards (PCBs) requires great attention to detail and expertise. When choosing a PCB manufacturer, it is crucial to opt for a highly skilled supplier with a strong focus on quality at every stage of the manufacturing process. This will ensure your PCBs meet your exact specifications.
For more than 20 years, Jarnistech has been a leading supplier of custom PCBs in China. Our success is measured by the success of our clients, and so we are committed to overseeing every step of the PCB manufacturing process. We ensure that your order is safely delivered and packaged to prevent any damage during transit. As a trusted supplier, we serve clients in over 100 countries, producing circuit boards for companies of all sizes. Moving forward, we are dedicated to ensuring our PCBs are delivered to every corner of the world.
We specialize in producing quick-turn prototypes and mass production of PCBs, as well as providing assembly services. Our team offers a fast and free quotation to help you make informed decisions.
At Jarnistech, we understand that our clients’ success is our success, so we take great care to manufacture high-quality PCBs that meet your requirements. Contact us today to discuss how we can help you achieve your PCB manufacturing goals.